October 26, 2009 by Shannon
You ever stop and think about what it would be like to stop and have a conversation with the person you were 10 years ago? Or even 5 years ago? I think that Shannon, circa 2004, would be a little surprised by what has transpired in the past couple years. And in some cases, shocked. Here are five things I do now — as a mom — that I wouldn’t have imagined myself doing just a few short years ago:
- I drink coffee in the shower. Why didn’t I think of this years ago? You get clean and caffeinated all at once! What could be better? This must be the real reason travel mugs were invented.
- I say things like, “Am I going to have to count to three?” and “Stop that! I’m not going to tell you again!” They’re not particularly effective phrases. But I find myself saying them time and time again. I’m starting to think the use of these words must be tied to a gene that lies dormant in women until they have their first child. I just know I’m not alone here.
- I sigh. A LOT. I honestly had no idea how often this was happening until I noticed Kellan doing it all the time. I wondered, where did he learn that? Ummmm, yeah. Me. So I started listening to myself. It seems that I sigh most often when Kellan goes all limp and giggly when I’m trying to dress him, or when he dumps toys all over the floor 5 minutes before bedtime, or when he refuses to use his manners. I’m not kidding…I just sighed thinking about all the times he does these things.
- I sometimes use tricks on my son that I would use on my dog. I’m not proud of this. But hey, it works. The other day, Kellan was clamoring for some sort of toy or something on the seat of the car, while Michael was struggling to buckle him in to his carseat. I picked up whatever it was that Kellan wanted and held it in front of him, just out of reach. A few seconds later, he was safely buckled and we were all on our way. Good boy, Kellan. Good boy.
- I’ve developed a hoarding problem. I can’t let go of big boxes from Costco. Or toilet paper rolls. Or little scraps of aluminum foil. I just know those things would make some kind of cool craft! Like an instant robot costume! Or a set of bowling pins! Or, you know, something else crafty! I just know I’ll think of something cool that I’ll need 10 paper towel rolls for…